More than 30 years technical and senior managerial experience in the Pacific islands with national governments, regional technical assistance agencies, private consultancy companies, and with an international financial institution.
Projects and Assignments:
Managed or participated in more than 60 projects and assignments in the Pacific islands, involving: institutional capacity building, fisheries infrastructure development, strategic planning, policy formulation, business planning and financing, change management, sector reviews, economic appraisals, trade, market and supply chain studies, field-based fisheries development and training, and project design, management and evaluation. Extensive experience in engaging with private sector activity in the Pacific islands and senior experience in investment evaluation, investor due diligence, project financing, infrastructure scoping, public-private dialogue, public-private partnerships, and business climate reform.
Author or co-author of more than 60 publications and technical reports on fisheries and fisheries business.
- Program and team leadership, including personnel and financial administration and management, budgeting, metrics development, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Infrastructure project management, including scoping, tendering, contract administration, environmental monitoring and management planning, and liaison and negotiation with government and other concerned agencies
- Extensive knowledge and experience of industrial tuna fisheries and tuna processing operations in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean, including experience in scoping and resourcing the onshore infrastructure required to support such operations
- High-level representation regarding policy development and reform
- Strategy development and program design and implementation
- Investment appraisal processes, including client relationship management, investor due diligence, sectoral analysis, and government relationships
- Demonstrated success in developing project concepts and bids
- Public and private sector fisheries enterprise evaluation, including risk identification and management
- Preparation of coherent technical and commercial assessments, advisory and policy documents, technical manuals, proposals and narrative reports
- Appreciation of Pacific island development aspirations and constraints and the opportunities and challenges for private enterprise in building and diversifying Pacific economies
- Familiarity with Pacific regional technical and development agencies, particularly Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) and Pacific Community (SPC), and their policies and procedures, and extensive personal contacts with agency staff
- Evaluation and development of markets and supply and value chains for primary and secondary products
- Organisation, management and evaluation of academic and practical fisheries training.