The Tobwaan Wara project was a 4-year MFAT-funded project which aimed to promote improved management of, and economic returns from, fisheries in Kiribati.
GPA undertook design work on the project, formulated a human resource development plan for the Kiribati fisheries sector, and provided overall project management services. The project supported a large number of educational and training activities, including:
- The preparation of schoolteacher resource kits;
- Community training in fishery post-harvest production and value-adding;
- Training of fisheries observers;
- Monitoring, Control and Surveillance (MCS) training; and
- Training of village wardens.
During 2021 alone, a total of 586 people received training from the project.